Some thoughts about Chile to conclude my one month stay there


  • They have some amazingly beautiful places. Torres del Paine - out of this world. Elqui Valley - very nice. Valparaiso - super cool. San Pedro de Atacama - supposedly great but since I visited during the "Bolivian winter" I wouldn't know since it rained the whole time I was there, all the attractions were closed and the tiny town melted into one giant mud puddle.
  • Santiago - meh. Wouldn't come again.
  • It's expensive! Prices a little lower than the US, but more expensive than Poland. 
  • Don't even get me started on the food. I think I literally wouldn't go back to Chile because of how terrible the food was. Eating is normally a pleasurable activity, but there it became a case of merely filling my stomach. I got sad every time I ate. They barely use any spices so everything tastes depressingly bland. I did not see freshly ground black pepper for a whole month of staying there. Most restaurants didn't even have ground pepper available. 
  • I've been told the redeeming quality of their cuisine is good seafood. Since I'm not a big seafood eater I couldn't verify this claim, buy based on how bad the rest of the did was I'm going to go ahead and disbelieve this claim.
  • Lots of street art in many towns - loved that.
  • It's difficult to understand their Spanish. 
  • "Pololo" is an actual word they use. (It means "boyfriend")
  • Fresh fruit juices/shakes sold on every corner, many had passion fruit available which made me very happy

Comments