Ciclorecreovía

Every Sunday between 9am and 2pm a number of large streets in Santiago (and other cities in Chile) close to car traffic and open to people on foot and on non-motorized vehicles. What seems like hundreds of runners, bikers and skaters descent upon the route. At my Airbnb there's a bike that I can use for free so today I decided to join them!




How cool would it be if they did a similar thing in central London? I'm imagining myself cycling around Trafalgar Square with no car in sight ...

Today the cycling route led me to the giant park located on San Cristóbal hill. It's a super cool park with many amenities: a funicular and a lift going to the top (where you can see 360 degree views of Santiago), two outdoor swimming pools, Japanese garden, outdoor amphitheatre, several viewpoints, walking and cycling routes... Today I ended up at the Japanese garden which has a really nice view:


It's a real shame that the air pollution obstructs views of the mountains surrounding Santiago on most days, It would look striking in cleaner air! And obviously would be much nicer to breathe. Mind you, the mean annual concentration of PM2.5 is substantially lower than in Krakow (29 vs 42)...


Comments