Uruguay - Cabo Polonio

It sounded cool. An eco village without electric connection and running water, dependent on solar energy. You get there on special vehicles that drive you along the beach. A local colony of sea lions and a lovely lighthouse, no internet access, very romantic.







IT WAS HELL ON EARTH, THANK GOD I ONLY BOOKED ONE NIGHT.
The hostel I stayed at had the smallest rooms I've ever seen - my bag barely fit in. The guy at the reception was Polish and there served vegetarian Pad Thai. The sheets were ripped. The sand was everywhere. The shower facilities were... Very limited. So far not too bad, apart from the tiniest, hottest rooms with ripped sheets, but whatever, I have my own pillow case. The evening was relatively pleasant. In places like this you hope to meet some nice strangers to share some fun times with, but unfortunately in this location I didn't seem to click with anyone, so I wandered around looking at what was happening in the different hostels. I watched a nice puppet performance, listened to some live music and watched a distant thunderstorm. 


Then the night came and the nightmare begun. The mosquitoes descended upon us. It was impossibly hot in the minuscule room with 8 people crammed inside, so you wanted to rip the sheets off of you. But then thousands of mosquitoes would start biting you. To be honest, it didn't matter if the sheet was on or off, they would bite through the fabric too. Mosquito spray on your body, some toxic spray in the room and on your sheets - they didn't mind, they kept biting. After a few hours of this nightmare I gave up on any sleep and went outside, deciding to spend the rest of the night wafting the tiny suckers away. It turned out there was no one left in the room, everyone escaped outside to sleep in hammocks and on outside benches. I was at the pick up station half hour before the bus arrived, just wanted to make sure I get out of this hell hole asap. Ufff.

Comments