The street art hoods of Santiago

I remembered about this meme today because I thought to myself that Santiago did not follow this pattern. That "street art" area in hipster part of town? Well Santiago has not one but two of them!
Yesterday I visited the first of them, the nearby Bellavista neighborhood. Graffiti, cool bars, lots of restaurants - check, check, check. My Spanish school is located in this area so I shall be sufficiently hipstered out by the end of my course.



Today I visited the second graffiti den, barrio Yungay. Built in the nineteenth century, this is one of the oldest neighborhoods in Santiago, and the first urban planning project of the city of Santiago. Originally an area for wealthy people, more recently inhabited by a mix of socioeconomic backgrounds including many immigrants. Over the years it's been heavily impacted by earthquakes, and many of the buildings here are still damaged from the latest big quake in 2010. 

Yungay is definitely different than Bellavista in that it's not overrun by cool bars and restaurants and it's mostly residential. But there's so much street art! Like SO. MUCH. Another interesting thing about this neighborhood is the mix of different architectures - from colonial style, to neo-roman, to neo-gothic, you name it! The abundant street art and the varied architectural styles made for a great area to walk around in.







Update on accommodation: I got a clean sheet to cover myself with (spent two nights on top of the bedding, covered with my scarf lol) and I'm moving to a different place in five days, yay!!

Comments

  1. Hahah, how good that you're such an optimist 😆 Some of those graffiti are just stunning! Love the map 🤩

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment